Do I need a BAL Report?

Posted by Nathan Peart on Apr 4, 2019 9:52:05 AM


 Energy Efficient Home

You only need a BAL report if your property has been designated a Bushfire Prone Area by the DFES Commissioner. A Bushfire Prone Map identifies land designated bush fire prone areas within Western Australia. All bushfire prone areas will be subject to specific construction and planning requirements to ensure your development in a bush fire prone area is better protected from bushfires.

To find out if you are in a Bushfire Prone area go to the map link below:


Enter the address of the property on the location bar. Bushfire_Prone_Map_1

If the property is shown in pink it means it is in a Bushfire Prone Area and a BAL Assessment will be required.


 Some things to note as you check:

If you do not require planning approval and the  building is located entirely outside of a bush fire prone area (i.e. located in a non-pink area), regardless of whether any other portion of the same lot is within a bush fire prone area:

  • Does not require a further assessment of bush fire risk (such as a bushfire attack level (BAL) assessment); and
  • is not required to comply with the bush fire construction requirements of the BCA.

So, if the location of the proposed building has no pink, even if other parts of the site has pink shading, a BAL should not be required.

If you would like us to check if your project actually needs a BAL – please send through your site plan and we would be happy to check for you. Or call us now on 9555 9444 or email us on to dicsuss it further.

Got any questions? Ask here


Topics: BAL, BAL Report, as3959, Bushfire Attack Level, bushfire prone, bushfire report